Identify and explore the three stages of Understanding by Design®, also known as “backward” curriculum design, in this online Learning Path guided by Jay McTighe, co-author of Understanding by Design (UbD). Designed for educators who are just beginning their study of Understanding by Design, this Learning Path will explore the concept of backward curriculum design, and teaching for understanding and transfer. This online learning experience is the first, of six, in a series of introductory Learning Paths.
Learning Path Outcomes:
- Develop a conceptual definition of understanding and its indicators;
- Distinguish between “understanding” and “knowing”;
- Recognize the Understanding by Design planning Template as a practical tool for curriculum design;
- Identify and consider the 6 types of learning goals;
- Review UbD examples from various subjects and grades; and
- Apply the use of the Design Standards to unit planning.