This Learning Path, the first of two that focuses on close reading, will explore the phases of close reading and provide the learner with the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the process and benefits of close reading. Through knowledge-building activities, questions, videos, and application activities on close reading, participants will learn how to support students in close reading and ultimately in text-dependent analysis.
Focusing on Close and Careful Reading is a necessary component of text-dependent analysis. There are four phases of close reading. Phases 1 through 3 of close reading are directly related to the skills needed to answer text-dependent analysis questions. Phase 4 of close reading goes beyond the expectations of text-dependent analysis to projects and extended thinking (i.e. debates, research, etc.)
Learning Path Outcomes:
- Increase your knowledge on reading comprehension by examining the text, the reader, and the context relationship;
- Examine the instructional shift of close reading;
- Determine how best to add close reading to your language and literacy framework;
- Extend your knowledge of the four phases of close reading; and
- Explore some strategies that can be used during close reading.