Motivated students strive for academic excellence and stay focused on reaching high goals. To foster a learning environment that will encourage student motivation, it is important to understand both intrinsic and extrinsic motivators and how they apply to students’ varied learning styles. In this Learning Path, you will explore a number of approaches for motivating students, including helping them set realistic goals; teaching them the skills needed to reach those goals; recognizing the differences between encouragement and praise; and becoming an energetic, enthusiastic, and caring teacher.
Learning Path Outcomes:
- Learn to support the setting and achievement of realistic student goals;
- Develop strategies for providing clear and specific instructions;
- Learn and improve techniques for fostering intrinsic motivation;
- Practice encouragement and attention-grabbing techniques;
- Develop collaborative activities that encourage student motivation; and
- Review questioning techniques to encourage critical thinking.
Pennsylvania Association of Intermediate Units (PAIU)
Represents and supports PA’s 29 IUs
Provides a variety of Learning Paths to support educators