Planning Instruction to Promote Disciplinary Language Development focuses on how to plan instruction to provide culturally and linguistically diverse students access to rigorous academic content teaching and learning, as well as prioritize learners’ development of discipline-specific language functions and features. In this Learning Path, you will consider the role of language in disciplinary instruction and design instruction to foster disciplinary language development.
Learning Path Outcomes:
- Define and describe academic language;
- Synthesize the complexities of language within and across academic disciplines;
- Analyze instructional units to recognize disciplinary language functions and features;
- Draft learning objectives that specifically target students’ language development; and
- Differentiate instruction to support the unique needs of individual CLD students.