Pushes and Pulls is the first of two Learning Paths that will explore the science concepts behind the NGSS Kindergarten Physical Science Standards. Readings and videos will provide you with ideas about developmentally appropriate strategies to support your students’ learning. You will build a middle school level of understanding of forces and start to get a sense of what level of understanding about pushes and pulls is appropriate for kindergarteners.
You are recommended to complete Introduction to the Three Dimensions of NGSS prior to this Learning Path. Following this Learning Path, you are recommended to complete Kindergarten 2: The Sun’s Energy.
Learning Path Outcomes:
- Examine the skills that all kindergarteners need to develop so that they will have the necessary tools for learning;
- Learn about the third dimension of NGSS: Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs), including an overview of the kindergarten Physical Science standards pertaining to forces;
- Learn about the two types of forces that can act on an object: pushes and pulls;
- Learn the necessary tools that kindergartners need to develop;
- Gain an overview of the kindergarten Physical Science standards pertaining to forces; and
- Gain an understanding of the two types of forces that can act on an object: pushes and pulls.
Santa Clara County Office of Education (SCCOE)
Professional learning provider
Offers Learning Paths designed to support educator’s needs