Properties of Matter explores the science concepts behind the NGSS Second-Grade Physical Science Standards. In this Learning Path, you will increase your understanding of physical and chemical changes and explore the properties of matter that second-grade students are asked to observe and describe.
Readings, videos, and online discussions with other participants will provide you with information that you need to effectively teach the second-grade Next Generation Science Standards for physical science.
You are recommended to complete Introduction to the Three Dimensions of NGSS prior to this Learning Path.
Learning Path Outcomes:
- Examine the skills that all second graders must develop to have the necessary tools for learning the Science and Engineering Practices (SEPs);
- Learn about the third dimension of NGSS: the Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs).
- Discover common student misconceptions about matter.
- Explore ways in which matter can change.
- Identify the differences between physical and chemical changes.
Santa Clara County Office of Education (SCCOE)
Professional learning provider
Offers Learning Paths designed to support educator’s needs